“My” second paper (An Evidence Based Approach to Scoping Reviews, published in the Electronic Journal for Information Systems Evaluation) grew from a requirement I made of a PhD student I was the industrial mentor for, when I still wore a commercial hat. Essentially I wanted a more structured approach to the apparently haphazard review of existing work, so that I (as commercial customer) could be confident about what concepts were already available.
When I left that company I lost track of the work, and only recently reconnected when I started at Cranfield. In the meantime it had lost direction, mostly because trying to inspect how you do something while you do it tends to get in the way of the work (not a new problem).
The paper as initially submitted to ECIME was made of three poorly connected pieces of work, and written by a foreign student whose English wasn’t all that good, much sympathy for him. I re-edited it, ran some exercises to fill in some examples, and added some pieces from my initial comments when the work first started, so I got to be the last author.
There’s a lot more that still needs to be done in this field. It’s on my list of things to do…